Microsoft appoints CEO Satya Nadella as new president
On June 16, 2021, Microsoft Corporation appointed CEO Satya Nadella as the new president. Nadella will replace John Thompson as the new president.
Nadella in 2014 had replaced Steve Ballmer as CEO of Microsoft. He was instrumental in taking Redmond, the company’s Washington-based business, and billion-dollar acquisitions such as Nuance Communications, LinkedIn and ZeniMax to new heights.
The high-level leadership changes came a year later, with Gates stepping down from the board. Gates said he would be more involved in the philanthropic activities of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Thompson, who was named president in 2014 in place of co-founder Bill Gates, will now serve as a lead independent director.
Microsoft declared a quarterly dividend of 56 cents per share payable on September 9.
Who is Satya Nadella?
• Satya Narayan Nadella has been CEO of Microsoft Corporation since 2014. On June 16, 2021, he was named the new president of Microsoft.
• Prior to joining Microsoft, Nadella worked at Sun Microsystems. Then, in 1992, he joined Microsoft as an engineer. He became vice president of Microsoft Central in 2000. The following year he was promoted to vice president of Microsoft Business Solutions.
• Nadella was senior vice president of Microsoft Online Services in 2007, where he oversaw Bing, Xbox Live and early versions of MS Office.
• In 2011, he became president of the servers and tools division of Microsoft where he oversaw products such as the Azure cloud platform, Windows Server and the SQL Server database. Under Nadella’s leadership, the Servers and Tools Division’s revenue grew from $ 16.6 billion to $ 20.3 billion.
• Nadella was named Financial Times Person of the Year for 2019. He is also on Barron’s Top 30 CEOs in the World list.
Key Milestones by Satya Nadella as Microsoft CEO
• Release of Microsoft Office for the Apple iPad
• Launch of iPhone and Android applications like Microsoft Outlook
• Release Windows 10 and remove Windows 9
• Launch of the Linux operating system on the Azure cloud
• Bought Mojang (the company that created Minecraft)
• Introducing Microsoft Surface Book, the company’s first laptop computer