Name of elderly man who died in bungalow fire has been released
The name of a Derbyshire man who died in an accidental house fire has been released after an investigation into his death was opened.
Peter Morley, of Rossendale, Cotmanhay, died on December 8 last year after a fire in his bungalow.
Firefighters had rushed to the property after reporting a fire on Ilkeston Street and found the 89-year-old man inside.
He was then transported to Nottingham Hospital where he died the same day, much to the sadness of the locals.
In the aftermath, the Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service reported that it believed the fire had started ‘accidentally’ as a result of an electrical device.
An investigation opened at Derby Coroner’s Court on Tuesday April 27 was informed that paramedics had successfully resuscitated the former heavy truck driver, but his condition subsequently deteriorated and he later died.
Dr Robert Hunter, senior coroner for Derby and Derbyshire, said the preliminary cause of death was given as asphyxiation from smoke inhalation.
Reading a referral report that had been delivered to the coroner’s office, Dr Hunter said: “Derbyshire Fire and Rescue has been called to his home due to reports of fire.
“They had to force entry and discovered a large house fire where the oven rings had been left on. It had then spread.
“The fire was caused by a faulty fridge-freezer, not the hob.”
Mr Morley was found in the living room and resuscitated and taken to Queen’s Medical Center in Nottingham.
However, he no longer recovered and sadly passed away that same morning.
Dr Hunter postponed the investigation to a later date until reports from Derbyshire Fire and Rescue and Derbyshire Police are completed.