Ontario appoints new Chief Medical Officer of Health, replacing Dr. David Williams
As the third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic in Ontario shows signs of receding, the Ford government prepares to replace the best doctor in the province.
CityNews has learned that Dr Kieran Moore is set to take the reins as Chief Medical Officer of Health from Dr David Williams.
Moore has been the Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox and Addington Medical Officer of Health since 2011.
Williams, who has been the province’s top doctor since 2016, has faced widespread criticism for his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Ontario COVID-19 Long-Term Care Commission blasted Williams’ response at the onset of the crisis.
The government-appointed commission said Williams and the government have repeatedly ignored warnings from scientists, doctors, local public health officials and even the Minister of Long-Term Care.
More recently, Premier Doug Ford ignored Williams’ recommendation to reopen schools for the last month of the school year, turning instead to dozens of public health experts, local health units and stakeholders from across the country. education for advice.
It marked a departure for the premier, who had previously expressed strong support for Williams and even asked him to delay his impending retirement to remain at the helm of the province’s pandemic response. Last November Ford reportedly said, “I don’t believe in changing dance partners in the middle of a dance, especially when he’s a great dancer.”
An announcement confirming the change is expected Monday.
Files from The Canadian Press were used in this report